Facebook, Google+, Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, and Pinterest – these are some of the top social networking sites these days. Such is their prominence that they present the following statistics.
- Facebook has approximately 901 million active members as of April 2012 and, in average, a person spends around 7 hours and 45 minutes on his or her page each month.
- Twitter has over 140 million active members as of March 2012 with 340 million tweets daily.
- Google+ has an estimated 170 million active members as of April 2012.
- Badoo, which is a social discovery and dating-focused website, has more than 151 million active users as of April 2012.
- LinkedIn has approximately 161 million active members as of February 2012.
(Reference for number of users taken from wikipedia.org)
According to the recent “World Map of Social Networks” created by Vincenzo Cosenza, the dominant networking website is Facebook. Twitter, Badoo, and LinkedIn are close behind.
Looking at these insights, you may wonder why these sites are very popular.
Well, for some individuals, joining online communities allow them to connect with other people from all over the world. Furthermore, their profile page serves as a platform for sharing their interests or viewpoints.
But, perhaps, the greatest importance of social media portals is its assistance to many businesses across the globe. In fact, an estimated 90% of marketers use it. Moreover, 65% of the world’s leading companies are active Twitter users. Plus, 53% of small enterprises have profile pages on Facebook (19%), LinkedIn (15%), and Twitter (4%).
So, why are plenty of business owners signing up on networking websites?
If you are managing a company and you have yet to keep pace with your competitors, you may want to find out why they are taking on social media marketing.
Well, the main reason is that they can obtain several benefits, such as the following:
- Free sign-up – Most sites do not charge you for becoming a member, take advantage of this and you can make your offers known to a huge market.
- Lesser expenses – Since you do not have to spend in order to sign up, you can promote your business without taking a huge chunk off your marketing budget.
- More exposure – Given that millions of people are on Facebook and Twitter these days, you can greatly increase your visibility by sending your messages through Tweets or status updates.
- Increased leads – You can capture the interest of your target customers through creative strategies. With that said, take time to dedicate time and effort on such activities.
- Better search rankings – This is applicable if you have an official website and you optimise your profile pages for search engines. Now that Google includes social content in its SERPs, it is important that you integrate your status updates and bio with relevant keywords.
- Brand awareness – There is no better way to provide the consumers with information about your company than through networking. You can easily convey your sales pitch worldwide.
- Higher revenues – If your social media campaign is successful, you can rake in bigger profits. Therefore, you must always determine the effectiveness and efficiency of your strategies.
- Measurable performance – In connection with the latter, you can determine whether your methods are effective or not by using the analytics function of networking sites like Facebook and Google.
So, there you have the biggest benefits of creating profile pages.
Now, these are not exhaustive of all the wonderful things you can obtain. Discover more advantages by joining the top social media platforms today!
About the Author: Emma Tomlinson is the Head of Retail at Smart Traffic, a fast-growing private technology company that offers search engine and social media optimisation services to several companies across the world.