SEO play a very important role in getting traffic to any website and blogs. If you have good content and have not done search engine optimization to your blog, then you are missing many visitors. Here in this post i will explain everything about blogger blog search engine optimization.
1. Optimize Blog and Post Title:
Blogger by default will display your blog title first and post title next. You have to swap the titles such that your post title must come first and blog title next. This step will also prevent duplicate meta description error. First go to Blogger >> Design >> Edit HTML, now find the below code –
Remove that line, copy and add the following code –
<b:if cond='data:blog.pageType == "item"'>
<title><data:blog.pageName/> | <data:blog.title/></title>
Save the template. After few days your blog and post title will be swapped, which is good for SEO. Below screen shot show how a blog post will appear in Google after making this change –
2. Home Page Optimization:
This will help to rank your blog (home page) good in search engines. After you have added the code in step 1, just below that code add the following code –
<b:if cond='data:blog.url == data:blog.homepageUrl'>
<meta content='write your blog description here' name='description'/>
<meta content='add your keywords here' name='keywords'/>
Copy the above code and change the bold lines with your blog description and keywords, and then save the template.
3. Submit Blog Sitemap to Search Engines:
This step will help search engines to find your blog very easily. I will explain how to submit sitemap to Google, after that you can follow same steps for other search engines like bing, yahoo, etc…
- First go to Google webmasters.
- Login with your blogger username and password.
- Now enter your blog URL and click add site.
- Now it asks you to verify your site. (to confirm you are the owner)
- There are many ways to confirm your site, you choose verification method as adding a meta tag.
- They will provide a meta tag line, copy that and paste it just below the
<head>in your blogger template HTML and click save template.
- Now got to Google webmaster and click verify.
- After verification go to left sidebar >> site configurations >> sitemaps.
- Click on submit sitemap and add rss.xml in blank space and click submit sitemap.
4. Additional tips for good rankings:
- Don’t add too long post title, the search engines gives importance to first 60 characters only of your title.
- Include keywords in your post title.
- Include keywords in your first 3-4 lines of the post because take first 160 characters as met description for he post.
- Don’t add too many unnecessary widgets like, clock, flashy texts, live score, etc.. in your blog, which is bad for SEO and it also takes more time to load your page.
- Don’t add same title for 2 posts.
- Make your blogger navigation easy.
- Place recent posts (maximum 5) and labels in your sidebar so that users and search engine bots can navigate easily.
- Choose a template which has less images and widgets.
- Don’t add too many external links in your blog.
- Always check your blog in different browsers like Internet explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc.. because some of the templates will not work in some of the browsers.
- Use Meta Tag Analyzer to analyse your blog title, keywords, etc.. If you find any error, fix accordingly.